There is a new blog from the Royal Society of Chemistry that is highlighting the content of its newest journal, Food and Function.
This is the blurb about the new journal:
It won't be an easy read for the non-scientist home cook but I'll try to glean some gems out of it for you!Food & Function is a new monthly peer-reviewed journal which provides a unique venue to publish work at the interface of the chemistry, physics and biology of food.
ScopeThe journal focuses on the interaction of food components with the human body, including:
- The physical properties and structure of food
- The chemistry of food components
- The biochemical and physiological actions
- Nutrition and health aspects of foodTopics covered in the journal include, but are not limited to:
- The chemistry and physics of food digestion processes
- The relationship between the physical properties/structure of food and nutrition and health e.g. nutrient release and uptake
- Molecular properties and physiological effects of food components (novel ingredients, food substitutes, phytochemicals, bioactives, allergens, flavours and fragrances)
- Efficacy and mechanisms of bioactives in the body - including biomarkers
- Effects of food contaminants - including toxicology and metabolism
- Nutrient physiology/metabolism and interactions
- The role of nutrition and diet in disease
The blog should be a bit more accessible.